#INFLUENCERDRIVE: Christel Holst-Sande Cowdrey .

 

 

#INFLUENCERDRIVE.

Well, it’s the series with the biggest hits, so far. Which means, we are picking the biggest hitters, right? And one cannot really get much higher an achiever than an all-round polymath: She’s clever, intuitive, insightful, glamorous, ambitious and fascinating. Queen of Chelsea herself, Christel Holst-Sande Cowdrey.

We were lucky enough to be able to pick the lady’s brains on a number of life enhancing topics. Here we go!


 

 


 

 

 

1:

Plug your latest project(s). What are you up to and when can we see/hear about it etc?

In February 2023, my second book, How to Fire Your Husband in Easy Steps (A Miraculous Divorce)  will be launched. Alongside, will be the book of steps and an online course.

My first book Imagine A Healthy You went to international bestseller status, which was so exciting (and mind boggling), but then, the purpose of writing a book is to inspire and maybe help another in succeeding where there may be similar challenges.

I am also about to complete and begin, with full momentum, my first Screenplay for a Feature. I trained in Feature at The Metropolitan Film School. I had always considered that it was and is quite a different skill. Sometimes, it is almost better to forsake too complicated dialogue. When actors truly embody characters, they feel from another more intense place and lead the dialogue on their own. That’s exciting: to give a lead but empower not disempower them to be themselves within the role.

Now, I am seeking funding and choosing (with professional guidance always) who the team will be, who are they that cry, are moved and who are they that laugh in the same place, in the story? If I can touch a heart, cast a light into an abyss, I feel I’m on my way, that there is purpose.

I write non-fiction and although every story incorporates a little imagination, ‘faction’ is probably more honest, after all we see things as we are and not always as they are. I begin and then the writing seems to flow until I come to a full stop – this can take hours, weeks, years or until I’m hungry or keeling over, in need of my pillow!

I should add that I am a (spectacular) professional Voiceover Artist. I am a mezzo soprano and, many moons ago, switched and sang Jazz professionally. I am certain that the skill of spending hours in recording studios, has made me an acute listener, super clear and swift to complete the Voiceover task with aplomb! J

I’m used to cameras and have done various tv commercials, normally hair adverts. I know that any task we complete must be for the observer, listener, or audience and (stating the obvious), rather than being self-centred. One needs to get on with it, nerves are hugely irritating for the Engineer.

I have found that when things ally themselves to me, come up alongside, I am to respond, that there will be some purpose in the association.

In one such case, a solicitor, in telling me his story, suggested I train as an Accredited Mediator – saying my non-judgement and acute listening was somewhat rare – so I did!

I am thrilled I did because it has helped me in every part of my life . All too often it is too simple to judge – the Native American proverb ‘Never judge another man until you have walked a mile in his moccasins’, is a wise and constant reminder.

I am deeply drawn to cross-cultural mediations. We are a melting pot of cultures and not enough understanding is empathised and heard. I am a Swede and even as a Caucasian, there are formalities that dovetail, but are also differing in their expression. I’m a polyglot and love language so I guess that blends in too.

 

 



2:

Describe a typical day in your life. If there is one!

There are birds at my window every morning as I wake! They are perky and sit in the most ginormous Curly Willow right by my window or on the ledges, I’m sure, sometimes they are deliberately noisy.  The Willow Tree is apposite, since I have spent years immersed and still find myself surrounded by cricket. I bought this house because the courtyard is so lovely – honestly, this huge tree gives me so much joy!

Then the aroma of coffee machine wafts its way up early in my house and intoxicated by this delicious balm I ping to the surface of the morning. It’s naughty, but often I return to my bed with a beaker, black with honey and do my emails – really one should meditate – I do try to do that too.

I have always had Springer Spaniels but lost Lily, my last of three during Lockdown – she was sweetly ancient; there’s always a change of diary when there’s no dog to walk, demanding a discipline to get out on foot for the regulated 10,000 steps daily target.

I try to do a few ‘big somethings’ every day; workwise and with my writing and exercising brain & body. Cross cultural Mediation zoom meetings are fascinating – trying to grasp the laws in each land. I am also a Fellow of the RSA – a privilege and I love the exposure and learning from the expansive thinking that is the powerful element of that Society.

Invariably, at some point each day, I have a ‘love chat’ with my twin sons; we are all on the ‘Find Friends App’ and so if I’m out and about, they’ll text and ask, am I having fun, who am I dining with, what’s the low down on the company I’m keeping, how happy am I out of ten and am I in a safe space?

My questions to them both are similar – it’s a ‘cross-parenting’ period of satisfaction during each day. Usually, before we check out, we check in – an upcoming time to plan to have brunch or supper together, invariably this incorporates a 6-8k walk.

The guys are undoubtedly the greatest assets in my entire life – were whisked up in a saucer via 1st attempt IVF at The Lister Hospital, Chelsea - indeed, they are uniquely miraculous in arriving at all, checking the statistics.

As you may imagine, I am grateful for every waking moment and genuinely respectful of their choices, voices and those actions they choose. It has humbled me and created a passion within me for the parenting process.

One of my goals is to do a TEDX talk on Parenting; the level of Grace and gratitude needed to replace self-focus; the distribution of outdated ideas that are infiltrated, understandably by our parents and their parents in turn need tweaking and we need to be on high alert.

Finally, I would say that classical music plays in my head most hours of the day – I am moved deeply by the Cello and by various composers and their pieces. My Mother was a Coloratura. As a child, classical music was mostly what we heard. The Blues and Standards of Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee, Julie London, Louis Armstrong and the many more were ‘permitted’.

I am a Mezzo Soprano but I suppose I ventured to Jazz because classical music’s metre, is an oubliette of discipline, whereas Jazz permits the voice to be followed by the musicians so there is total freedom of expression, where often ‘less is more’.

My musical Director John Altman is a jazz inspiration. When I was about to perform at Mark Nicholas’s Benefit dinner at The Savoy (following Rory Bremner that great satirist and the fine Sir Tim Rice, for a 45 minute set with a trio); John asked how I felt. My voice choked the words “my mouth is dry, I’m trembling”. Looking directly at me, he rolled his eyes and said “it’s not about you, Christel- it’s about them” pointing at the 500 audience. A definite smack and harsh but it did wonders! I stopped thinking about me. John added Behind You in Ella Fitzgerald’s trombonist and Peggy Lee’s Bassist. ‘no one would detect a thing if you screwed the whole thing up!’ Laughing; he counted me in on ‘4’ and we flew!

 

I do enjoy silence too – as much as a jolly dinner party and I love to cook!

I drink 2 litres of water, kombucha, coffee each day and try to eat one ‘entrée’ a day, with a glass of wine, Provence Rosé, a rich Malbec or an oaked Chardonnay -  with a few small things either side.

 


 

 


 

 

3:

What’s been the toughest challenge you have faced, to date? How did you endure/survive/grow from it?

There have a been a few –

My divorce, though my mediation nature kept me calm, which is vital when four lives are shunted out of synch and the status quo so shifted.

My parents’ deaths was another, most recently my Mother dying in my arms. I had been the singular carer for much of the latter parts of their lives, which was my privilege and their loss and my heartache that followed was another privilege of such a deep love.

The most recent uphill climb….

·         On December 21st 2021, I fell after walking happily in my trainers for 2 miles. I stopped to allow traffic into a garage entrance and caught my foot between a paving stone and the root of a tree. Whilst I was airborne, I recall thinking, “how the hell am I going to land?!” – my elbow took the full force of my body to the ground and stunned, it took me 10 minutes to regain composure and with the help of two women, to stand upright. Once led to the café attached to the garage, the Manageress said four others had fallen there before.

·         I was somewhat incoherent, but I found my phone and the woman helped by calling one of my sons, who whisked me to A&E. The Chelsea & Westminster were super-fast, all prep was taken for near immediate surgery, but my elbow was too swollen and I was to return 2 days later to meet the surgeon. By then I had caught Covid so I had to wait until the 15th of January to be operated upon. Three hours and 3 days later post op, I was sent by home, via NHS ambulance to my sons’ home.

·         What followed post exhaustion from the anaesthetic was extraordinary. I had never experienced the dumbing down of my enthusiasm for life – I just slept; couldn’t watch a movie; couldn’t read for long; had trouble (being allergic to opioids) regarding pain management and so it went on.

It took 10 weeks for me to feel confident to drive again. I felt rudderless and wondered whether really, on some level, any purpose I may have taken for granted had dissipated for this lifetime.

I was occasionally anxious, something I have never thought about nor experienced. The surging adrenalin before a performance is one thing but the lack lustre level of energy I inhabited, felt as though I was staring at life from a ladder, deeply rooted in a crevasse – no further down… in an abyss.

Three months later the surgeon said there had been “zero healing”. Two dates for operations were met with fear from me and kindly held in abeyance by the empathetic surgeon. Finally, he told me I had no choice, that the possibility of never putting my full weight on my right arm again, was unacceptable.

I decided, since I am not a medic, certainly not a scientist nor one of the country’s finest upper limb Surgeons, that I would acquiesce, behave, and lean on trust and his gentle reassurance.

The second operation has been a success; the surgeon skipped like a child beaming with excitement, that “it could not have gone better!”- I am forever in gratitude.

The trauma (because they recorded my response as trauma and the fall ‘severe’) I had experienced, finally led me from gloom to saying the 10 things I am most grateful for in life, morning and night and any other time I would remember.

I decided that God was definitely trying to infiltrate my thoughts, telling me indirectly to focus on my writing, get myself organised and fit, enjoy the oft enforced hours of solitude, as a gift.

I have been grounded and will continue to be grounded, until what will soon amount to have been, a whole year.

During this time my second book has been completed; I am signed with an Agent and a Publisher.

I was asked if I would rent a room to a great friend of my sons; I’m sure I began to sleep better as a result – simply put, another beating heart can be a comfort.

My book launches in February 2023 with 3 months of marketing starting immediately.; what follows are The Easy Steps accompanying book and an Online Course giving suggestions to succeed, because if I can, then honestly, anyone can! The online course will be ‘The super 7 easy steps to fire your husband!’ .

My screenplay, Be Brave My Sons, my story (faction) of 3 boys running and trafficked from Kabul and the relationships between mother and sons, has been reignited; It had been put on hold during my divorce.

After working with the Government, who introduced me to all the connections I needed for full authenticity in my writing, I was inspired to complete the mammoth task to full Feature Film, during my period of repose.

I believe it will be my best contribution so far, using most of what I have learned this time ‘round.

This year ignited a myriad of feelings, from horizontal, fear-filled oblivion to a greater understanding of the power of our thoughts, that they transmute and become ‘things’ and that our speech dictates and holds a level of power that is overwhelming and needs serious consideration.

A few kilos lighter - it feels good to stride about naked rather than shimmy in the dark! I have a renewed and a keen love for each day and a greater respect for my ongoing health; for the tribe that have shown they are mine and my emotional ‘castle’.

This year has also compounded my love for writing, even though I have written all my life, beginning with music – thanks for the casting of light into shadow and that power, so sweet as to shift an hour, a day or a life.

I remain tearful reading this, but such is adversity that should lead us to humility and greater fortitude.

 

 


 


4:

Contrast with: happiest time, ever? Or is the best yet to come?!

One of the happiest times was realising the man I had fallen in love with was to be the father of my children – sounds strange but I had to tell him – that was scary but brave! I think woman is given a nudge, given a ‘heads up’ when they’ve met their match?

I should say the second was my wedding day but to be honest, I was in a stupor, a lovely daze but nonetheless a stupor – vows booming through me, words committing, voices excelling - all before The Lord!

The day we were told we had conceived two little people at once, at the first attempt – seeing their hearts beating at 7 weeks was incredible – I wasn’t expecting that at all!

And now? Those two little people are fine, young men. Spin instructors at Ride Republic! Master Certified Life Coaches and work together in their company: Safe-Space. And there’s the Kent County Cricketer connection, too!  (EDITOR’S NOTE: PAGING GOOGLE BOX! GET THIS FAMILY ON YOUR NEXT SERIES, ASAP!!).  Back to Christel.

 

But then there are so many experiences I am grateful for – My Great Grandmother’s 110th birthday party in Stockholm, who lived until she was 111 years and 89 days – the greatest longevity of any Nordic woman – maybe superseded by another now; but no dementia, not a line on her beautiful face and her long silver blonde hair twisted up into a bun.

 

 


5:

How do you relax? List some favourite books/tunes/films/exercises to help, if possible!

Recently, I have resumed Yoga. I was a ballet dancer to Grade V1 with the Imperial Society when I was younger and so Yoga and Pilates were opposite rules and, I found them both slow in comparison. Now I find yoga seriously challenging and so good for the bod!

I walk and I spin – both my sons are Spin Instructors as a side hustle, both are athletes; one was a professional cricketer, third generation (no pressure J) and the other son scarily fit too.

I read and I love to Voiceover even if it is a paid professional job – I love it!

Movies are great if the mood grabs me – but none with violence or disempowerment of others – I get upset - I do veer toward Documentaries and have written a few Doc concepts – my passion for non-fiction in evidence, once again.

When I need to chill out, I like to find Bob Mortimer on Would I lie to you – he is superbly clever and I laugh out loud, I mean how often do we do that? I watch First Dates in awe of the contestants and really enjoy Gogglebox and think I’d enjoy would being on it – I’m sure it would be so fun!

I have appeared with my son Julius Cowdrey on Made in Chelsea (which he most definitely was) quite often and really enjoy it. It’s easy for the viewers to forget it’s just a show and not the Gospel, but still, one forgets!


 




 

6: What tech items can you not do without, and why? And what might be done, by tech /apps to improve life and work, in general, do you think?

Techs I use:

iPhone (ha!) & my MacBook Pro; Find Friends; Cab App (I don’t touch UBER); Eventbrite; My Steps & Health App; Suduko; Word Search & Solitaire (use every day to brain train);QR Bot; Dropbox; Camera; Parking Apps; Bank App; Scanner; Voice Recorder: Files: Notes: Clock; Calculator; Utilities; Excel & Word: Maps  - I mean I could go on… how did we cope before these!!

 

 

 

7: Who has influenced you the most on your journey, so far? And where do you, as an influencer yourself, see yourself in the next 5-10 years?

My Great Grandfather’s Legacy mentality. He took on NCR, Nordic/European countries with the American in Dayton, Ohio, in the beginning of that organisation, which brought his grandson, my Pa, us all, to England in the early sixties. NCR paid it forward to one of their employees; who was instrumental in starting IBM.

We are a clan of some 600+ individuals, spread across the world – he asked all the generations to remain in touch; to build relationships with one another, which we have done and continue to do, so thank goodness for Facebook!

He said “Vi stãller upp för varandra” – “we stand for one another” so, when a relative comes, look after them; if they land in your place, open the door and bring them in!’

When I see NCR on ATM or cash machines – I still find I am monetarily filled with regard for his legacy mentality – the pure element of his character is in my film, driven with a power of influence in the protagonist.

He is but one….My Father, who is the sole influencer in my life for men and responsible for my love of men – in the finer sense. There are many, I am happily still and hopefully will stay  very teachable!

 

Christel Holst-Sande Cowdrey

 

For details on how to collaborate with Christel via her expertise/likeness/many talents see David Hahn Agents.

 

Book Publishers: see  Cranthorpe Millner Publishing House

 

 

 Sustainability Roadmap

 

Or: Augmented World

And this company, right here, which I have come across in my research.

If you are still reading at this stage then also check out these two:

Airports

Locations

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#INFLUENCERDRIVE. Drusilla Harris talks music, teaching, dance, tech, aesthetics and inspiration.

What CityMapper, Blippar et al CAN'T quite do?