Banking on the next Generation! #INSTAINFLUENCER DRIVE. INSPIRATIONAL WOMEN. ROSIE LYON fits the Bill!

 


ROSIE LYON: A NAME TO WATCH! 







I had the privilege of sitting down with this inspirational young person to chat tech, pastoral care, futurism and drive!


Here we go..


1: Is the traditional high street Bank 'dead' or at least, in danger of extinction? Can it be resurrected, in either event?

I do think as the years go on everything is changing. A lot of the banks are closing down their branches and moving to providing all the support you can do from a branch online. I think Covid-19 had a big impact on this.  However, it is so important to keep branches where we can. Safe spaces provided by a few high street banks allow sufferers and survivors of domestic abuse to seek help. It also allows them a safe space to make phone calls and arrange whatever they need to. I would encourage high street banks to rethink this when they discuss closures, it could save someone’s life. 






2: Tell us about the domestic violence drive. Where was the impetus? How is it progressing? And what more can be done?

I am extremely passionate about bringing change in regards to domestic abuse. I got in my first relationship at 17 and was with this individual for 7.5 years. Little did I know, it was abusive as it was not physical. Please everyone remember that domestic abuse does not have to be physical! I had my mortgage property repossessed due to it and my credit rating impacted. I left him in 2019, but the financial abuse is still ongoing with the repossession. 

I had poor service from banks during this time and knew other people had to so I decided change was needed. I entered a competition called Young Banker of the Year Worldwide 2021 and won with the idea of “a Fairer Financial Future for Sufferers and Survivors of Domestic Abuse”, I was the first woman to win the worldwide competition. 

The idea includes: raising awareness, implementing training, enhancing policies and procedures, and providing lending opportunities to those with poor credit due to no fault of their own. The idea has grown legs and so much has been done in the banking space. I’m starting to implement the lending opportunity side and a lot more procedures for our customers. 

It’s extremely rewarding and I love what I do! My next step would be to help individuals get out of a mortgage agreement when it’s abusive. I’ve had my mortgage on hold for 3 years and it’s still ongoing. I just want to be free and I’m sure others do too! 





3: Can tech play a role in defeating the abuse of women?

Tech/online abuse is caused by perpetrators stalking, isolating and controlling individuals day to day from their tech devices. There are a lot of good resources out there to help keep safe online. If the tech world keeps evolving and giving more safety features for everyone, then it can help bring a stop for tech abuse, too. 


4: What apps can you not live without?!

I cannot live without LinkedIn. 

Linkedin is my favourite social media platform. The love and support I get from thousands of people on the work I do is overwhelming! It gives me the motivation to get up and continue what I’m doing. 

Another great app that I have is Hollie Guard. The app creates extra levels of protection. You can raise alerts, gives your location as well as so many other features. When I struggled to leave my home after abuse, this was my go to. 





5: Which women inspired you the most? And where do you see yourself, in say 5-10 years with that template in mind? 


There are so many women that inspire me. The women that have suffered/survived abuse, the women bringing change, women in general. I am all for supporting women! From a celebrity perspective I would say Lizzo. Her music helped me through my hard times and she has the attitude of love who you are. It’s so important. 


It’s hard to say what I’ll be doing in 5-10 years time but personally I hope I have a mortgage again. Something that was taken away from me due to abuse. I hope to still be working in banking and bringing change to the financial industry that I do now. I also hope to continue what I am for sufferers and survivors of abuse. One door closes and another one always opens. So who knows?! 





THANK YOU, ROSIE! To stay ahead and think like an influencer / woman at the top, planning futures? See the links below for a few ideas..

Try: Sustainability Roadmap

And: City Maps

Or: Augmented World

And this company, right here, which I have come across in my research.

If you are still reading at this stage then also check out these two:

Airports

Locations




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#INFLUENCERDRIVE: Christel Holst-Sande Cowdrey .

#INFLUENCERDRIVE. Drusilla Harris talks music, teaching, dance, tech, aesthetics and inspiration.

What CityMapper, Blippar et al CAN'T quite do?